'Made in the UK', America’s largest series of British Jazz, will showcase four English groups, three Scottish and one from Wales at the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (10–18 June 2011). The exciting line up from England includes the Soweto Kinch Quartet, Jason Yarde and Andrew McCormack, Ronnie Scott’s All Stars and John Escreet. Martin Taylor and Alison Burns, the Fraser Fifield/Graeme Stephen Duo and Alan Benzie’s trio will represent Scotland. Martin Taylor will also perform solo. Representing the Welsh jazz scene is the Paula Gardiner/Huw Warren Duo.
XRIJF has become one of the USA’s leading jazz festivals and this year celebrates its 10th anniversary. As well as presenting legendary artists from the jazz community such as Wynton Marsalis and Dave Brubeck the XRIJF places strong emphasis on presenting the emerging artists from around the world.
“Made in the UK has become an integral part of our festival. We are already discussing the development of the series at other North American and Canadian festivals for the 2012 festival. Made in the UK is going from strength to strength”.John Nugent, Festival Director XRIJF.
The series continues to support the artists at additional US venues: Ronnie Scott’s All Stars return to Birdland on 13 June after the success of last year’s concert; Soweto Kinch will be performing at The Painted Bride in Philadelphia on 11 June and making his debut appearance at Dizzy’s Club, Coca Cola, Jazz @ Lincoln Center on 14 June; Jason Yarde and Andrew McCormack will be performing at the Radisson Riverside Hotel as part of the JazzWeek Summit on 17 June and Martin Taylor has a further eight US dates.
In 2011 the British Council, Wales Arts International and Creative Scotland have joined producer ESIP and its partners – Jazz Services, Glasgow International Jazz Festival, PRS and the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama – to support the 2011 ‘Made in the UK’ international concert series.
XEROX ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL – Christ Church – 6.45pm & 8.45pm
- Fri 10 June - Soweto Kinch Quartet
- Sat 11 June - Ronnie Scott’s All Stars present The Ronnie Scott’s Story
- Sun 12 June - Ronnie Scott’s All Stars present A Foggy Night in London Town
- Mon 13 June - John Escreet
- Tues 14 June - RWCMD presents Paula Gardiner/Huw Warren
- Weds 15 June - Alan Benzie Trio
- Thurs 16 June - Fraser Fifield/Graeme Stephen
- Fri 17 June - Jason Yarde/Andrew McCormack (Christ Church) and Martin Taylor/Alison Burns at (Max @ Eastman’s Place)
- Sat 18 June - Martin Taylor
- Sat 11 June - The Painted Bride, Philadelphia
- Tues 14 June - Dizzy’s Club, Coca Cola (Jazz @ Lincoln Center, NYC)
RONNIE SCOTT’S ALL STARS
- Mon 13 June - Birdland, NYC
JASON YARDE/ANDREW McCORMACK DUO
- Fri 17 June - JazzWeek Summit, Radisson Riverside Hotel, Rochester
- Thurs 16 June - with David Crisman - New York, NY, City Winery
- Sun 19 June - with Alison Burns - Ashbury, NJ, Chico's House of Jazz
- Weds 22 June - Solo - Northampton, MA, Iron Horse
- Thurs 23 June - Solo - Boston, venue TBC
- Fri 24 June - Solo - Nashville, venue TBC
- Sat 25 June - Solo - Denver, CO, Botanic Gardens
- Mon 27 June - Solo - Annapolis, MD, Ram's Head
- Tues 28 June - as special guest - New York, NY, venue TBC